Italian prosecutors have launched an investigation after a six-year-old boy, who was the only survivor of a cable car accident in Italy in May, was detained by his grandfather against the wishes of other family members in Israel amid bitter custody. was taken. War
Eaton Biran, whose parents and two-year-old brother died in the Stresa-Motarone aerial tramway crash on May 23, has been at the center of a custody battle between relatives in Italy and Israel.
Eaton, whose parents were Israeli citizens living in Italy, had been living with his aunt Aya Birn-Nirco in Pavia before their alleged abduction on Saturday. Biran-Nirco was given custody of the child after he was discharged from the hospital in Turin in June. Eton’s aunt Gali Peleg in Tel Aviv began the adoption process last month after her lawyer claimed the child was being held hostage.
She told Israel’s Radio 103FM on Sunday: “We didn’t kidnap Eaton and we won’t use that word. We brought Eaton back home. We had to do this after we could not get any information about his health or mental condition. If the judge had not scheduled the meetings [with the child]We wouldn’t have seen him.”
Eaton’s maternal grandfather, Schmulik Peleg, moved from Tel Aviv to Italy after the accident. According to the report of the Italian press, Peleg took the child out on Saturday morning but did not bring the child home until 6.30 pm as agreed. After sounding the alarm, Italian police found that Eaton had left Italy in a private plane with Peleg, who had the child’s Israeli passport. Diplomatic sources later confirmed his arrival in Israel.
Italian media reported that Biron-Nirco had repeatedly sent messages to Peleg, to whom it is claimed that he eventually replied: “Eaton has returned home.”
Armando Simbari, the lawyer representing Biran-Nirco, told Corriere della Sera: “This news is disturbing to everyone and causes great concern. He [Eitan] He was taken away from the family he grew up with, and doctors are still treating his trauma. “
Eaton’s grandparents also died in the crash, which is believed to have happened when a lead cable broke, injuring the rear before falling about 20 meters into a wooded area below the cabin. The cabin was only a few meters from Monte Mottarone, its destination about 1,500 meters above sea level, when the accident occurred. For the 20-minute ride, 15 people boarded the cable car in the low-lying town of Stresa, next to Lake Maggiore. Eight of the 14 who died, including a six-year-old child, were Italian citizens. The second victim was an Iranian national who lived in Rome.
Investigators are still working to determine the cause of the accident. The “black box” of the cabin was recently removed from the crash site. It is expected to take three months to assess whether the information contained in the software will indicate anomalies in the cable car system. Fourteen people from the company that built and maintains the cable car system and the firm that manages it are under investigation.
Prosecutors claimed days after the accident that the emergency brake, which should have prevented the cabin from falling backwards if the lead cable broke, had been deactivated to avoid service disruption.
Stresa-Mottarone service was resumed in late April as Italy eased coronavirus lockdown restrictions. Investigators said in late May that a technical investigation had been carried out, including “treatment inefficiency”, on 3 May, but was not “conclusive” in resolving the issues.
In June, Rai, Italy’s public broadcaster, was criticized for broadcasting leaked CCTV footage of the crash, which was Italy’s worst cable car disaster in 20 years.
Twenty people died in February 1998 when a US military plane flying very low cut a cable supporting a cabin near the Dolomites ski resort of Cavallies. In 1976, 41 people died in an accident affecting a single cable car system.